- 4 cups cooked chicken
- 4 potatoes, quartered and sliced thin
- 3 celery stalks, sliced
- 3 medium rrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 large yellow onion
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken stock or prepared chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup half and half (you can use milk)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and pepper to taste.
- Bisquick biscuit recipe (makes 9 biscuits)
Chicken Pot Pie:
For the chicken – Season and cook chicken to your preference. Let cool, then dice the chicken and set aside.
For the pot pie – Dice the onion and slice the vegetables. Melt the butter and oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, potatoes, carrots and celery. Saute until the vegetables start to turn translucent, 2-3 minutes.
Add the chicken and stir to combine. Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables and chicken, and stir to combine. Cook for a couple of minutes, stirring gently.
Pour in the chicken broth and stir in the bouillon. The flour will combine with the chicken to create a thick sauce. Next, add the peas.
Pour in the half and half and stir. Allow the mixture to cook over low heat, thickening gradually. Season with the thyme, salt and pepper, and remove from the heat. Taste and seasoning as needed. Pour the chicken mixture into a small casserole dish.
Make biscuits the easy way, using Bisquick. Place the biscuits on the filling. Bake until the biscuits are golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 30-45 minutes. Let sit 15 minutes before serving.