My first attempt at Julia Child’s Beef Bourguignon. This recipe is so tender and flavored well.
Write a review
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 557
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 62g
Saturated Fat 23g
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 4g
Monounsaturated Fat 28g
Total Carbohydrates 55g
Dietary Fiber 9g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- 6 slices bacon, cut
- 3 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 pounds stewing beef, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- 1 pinch coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups red wine
- 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves smashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 crumbled bay leaf
- 18 to 24 small pearl onions
- 3 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 herb bouquet (4 sprigs parsley, 2 sprigs thyme, 1 bay leaf)
- 1pound fresh white mushrooms, quartered
- Simmer bacon in 4 cups water for 10 minutes. Drain and pat dry.Preheat oven to 450°F. In a large dutch oven, sauté the bacon in 1 tablespoon of oil for about 3 minutes, until it starts to lightly brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Dry the beef in paper towels for better browning. In batches, sear the beef on all sides in the Dutch oven. Set aside with the bacon.
- Back in the pot, add the sliced carrots and onions; sauté in fat until browned, about 3 minutes. If there's any excess fat, drain. Add the bacon and beef back to the pot. Season with 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Toss. Sprinkle with flour and toss once more. Place in the center of the oven for 4 minutes.
- Remove pot from oven; toss beef and place back in the oven for 4 more minutes. Remove the pot from the oven and reduce the heat to 325°F. To the pot add the wine and stock. The liquid should barely cover the meat and vegetables. Add the tomato paste, garlic and thyme.
- Bring to a light simmer on the stove, then cover and simmer in the lower part of the oven for 3 to 4 hours, or until the meat is easily pierced
Adapted from tbsp.
Adapted from tbsp.
Preston Cooks For You http://prestoncooks.com/