Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 bunch of kale
- 5 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup quinoa
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can of Mandarin oranges
- roasted sliced almond
Cook the quinoa according to the instruction on the package. Once cooked, let it cool and place in the refrigerator for approximately 1 to 2 hours. In the meantime, remove the kale leaves from the ribs and torn the leaves into small pieces (1/2 inch). In a bowl, add the vinegar and using your hands, gently squeeze the kale leaves until tilted. Place in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes. Remove the kale leaves from the refrigerator and add all the ingredients but the toasted sliced almond and Mandarin oranges. Mix until all the ingredients are well mixed.
Place in serving bowl and sprinkle with the toasted almond and Mandarin oranges.
Makes 2 big bowls of soup
Toast the spices
- 4 whole cloves
- 4 whole star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Add the cloves, star anise, and cinnamon stick and toast until fragrant, about 3-4 minutes. Put the spices into a bowl and set aside.
- 1 quart chicken stock plus two cups water
- 1 bunch green onions (green top parts only) chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce, or more to taste (optional)
- 2 cup sea weed or kale, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 large grilled chicken breasts, shredded
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 4 oz vermicelli or thin rice noodles
- 2 tablespoon cilantro, chopped- for garnish (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped green onions (white parts only), minced- for garnish (optional)
- 1/2 lime, cut into wedges
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, add the toasted spices and all ingredients except chicken, sea weed/kale, mushrooms and bell peppers and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Taste the broth and add more sugar or fish sauce, if needed. Strain the broth and discard the solids. Add the sea weed or kale, mushrooms and bell peppers and cook for 1-2 more minutes. Remove from heat.
Add the shredded chicken and the vermicelli. Allow to sit for a few minutes while the noodles soften. Ladle the broth into bowls. Divide the kale, shredded chicken, peppers and the noodles evenly into each bowl. Sprinkle on the garnishes. Squeeze lime juice to taste over the top of your bowl before eating.